About Krita's mobile-friendly UX plans.

Emmet O'Neill emmetoneill.pdx at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:46:01 GMT 2024

In today's meeting we touched upon our need to work towards creating a
mobile UI in order to make Android more viable.

But to clarify this point, is the plan here to build a *totally separate UI
for mobile platforms in the model of Krita Gemini*?
Or are we talking about working towards a full (Qt6/QML) *refresh of Krita
desktop's UX to make it as touch/tablet-friendly as possible*?

In my opinion we'd be smart to focus on the latter, as I think a lot of the
design considerations that'd make Krita better to use on mobile would also
benefit tablet-centric desktop/laptop workflows.

And in that case, I think the first thing we ought to do (outside of the
Qt6 rebase stuff) is *compile a list of pain points and papercuts wrt
tablet-centric workflow in our current UI*.
This should be something as focused on concrete as possible, so that it's
not just another big pool of ideas that we can't really work with very
easily.
(It'll also be a lot easier to get specific feedback on tablet-centric
desktop workflows from our artists than it will be to get good Android
feedback, imo.)

Then, once we've identified the various problems with Krita from a
tablet/touch perspective, then we can research and design ways that we can
improve our designs in a way that should hopefully help us on mobile too.

This is also something that I think we could start working on basically
right away, so that we can start thinking about our design philosophy at
the same time as we upgrade our tech stack.

How's that sound?
I'd be happy to start gathering feedback on this stuff asap, if people
agree that it's worthwhile.

- Emmet