[Kdenlive-devel] editing by left/right arrows ...

Jason Wood jasonwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 22:14:34 UTC 2003

On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 3:53 pm, Reinhard Amersberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> right now I noticed a really cool behaviour, but I don't know if this is
> intended ...
>
> This is the normal functionality ...
>
> > - Pressing Left and Right arrows moves the active monitor
> > forwards/backwards one frame. Holding your finger on the button and you
> > step through lots of frames
>
> but this change after moving a clip edge by the mouse, so now I can step
> through frames of this clip by the arrows and this is PRETTY COOL!!! ...
> because this could be enhanced to offer very precise trim actions when the
> clip edge would be synced with the actual frame just like ...

I think I understand what you mean - when you are resizing a clip, pressing
the left or right arrows moves the frame shown in the clip monitor. Of
course, this snaps back to the 'correct' frame when you move the mouse a
little, but your saying that it would be useful if it actually changed the
frame the mouse was pointing at in this way. Is that correct?

My instant thought on how this would be useful - you have a clip that must
last for say, five seconds, and you already know where in the previous clip
you want a crossfade transition to start. You place you clip on the timeline,
with roughly the correct in/out points. You play it back. Hmmm, it looks like
the actions coming in a couple of frames early. Perform this operation and
you move the entire clip backwards a couple of frames, whilst keeping it at
the same size.

> - select on of the edges of a clip to move them by the left/right arrows
> forwards/backwards one frame ... one special mode could allow creating gaps
> by this action and another don't.

Ah, do you mean to be able to actually resize a clip on the timeline via the
arrow keys? So, you click on a clip edge, and then can move the clip edge
forwards/backwards on the timeline?

> - select the right edge of a clip and the left edge of the following clip
> to move them together by the left/right arrows forwards/backwards one frame

Ok, I think I start to see what you mean.

> - select both edges of a clip to slide this clip left right ... or slip in
> another special mode ...

In this case, I think you would actually want to click on the "body" of the
clip - in the same way that you currently select a clip.

> I think maybe this is good food for thought ...

It does :-) I think the big issue is - how and when should pressing the
left/right arrows simply move the frame currently pointed to on the monitor
back and forth, and when should it perform some "other" operation?

I'll have a think about it, let me know your thoughts in the meantime :-)

Cheers,
Jason

--
Jason Wood