Hello students!

Aman Kumar Gupta gupta2140 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 07:25:45 BST 2019

Hi,
I have been involved with KDE since the last 2 years. Here's a short
article of my experience with KDE student programs.

I was first selected in Season of KDE 2018 where I developed a block
programming activity with the GUI and the algorithm interpreter, under the
mentorship of Johnny Jazeix. I successfully completed the project and
passed the program.

I decided to continue contributing and helping other student contributors
by reviewing their patches for GCompris.

Along the way, I applied for GSoC 2018 and I got selected. There I built
robust piano music composer and sheet music APIs, inspired by Minuet and
MuseScore, and extended it to develop 4 piano simulator activities, which
were one of the major ones missing to reach a full port (version 1.0). I
also developed a file manager and integrated with all the configurable
activities to allow the users to manage their saved creations.

Then I continued contributing to the community and guiding newcomers. I
became a mentor in GCi 2018 where I mentored around 75 students which
resulted in completion of 80 tasks including coding tasks, installation of
kde apps, community outreach tasks etc.

I also became a mentor in GSoC 2019 for the project "One step closer to
1.0" and the student successfully followed the timeline and passed all
three evaluations.

In 2019, I attended Akademy for the 1st time (after missing it in 2018 due
to personal reasons) and it was a really awesome experience meeting
everyone in-person whom I've known and worked with, only on IRC since the
last 2 years.
I also gave a talk in the students showcase, co-hosted a BoF with Timothee
Giet and co-hosted a BoF on KDE student programs with Caio, Valorie and
Bhushan.

Me, along with other contributors from India are planning to decide a venue
and host conf.kde.in either in 2019 or 2020. Hope we can make it happen :)

Cheers,
Aman