Hello students!

Piyush Aggarwal piyushaggarwal002 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 18:13:17 BST 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 15:49, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:

> We've been meeting some of you GSoC /SoK students personally at Akademy, which is super! I with all of you were here. We want to present you and your work to the community soon, now that you've had a chance to relax briefly (I hope). So from each of you please send me a few sentences about you and your work, and if you like, what your GSoC experience was like. Please attach or link to at least one high-quality image: of you or a screenshot or other image of your work. More are better so that the editors can choose.
>
> We'll be asking for some feedback from your mentors as well. Please give us some words we can *quote*. We want to hear your voice, see your face, and what you did!

Favorite Quote from Simon Redman (my mentor) that I can relate to:
"Nothing is ever as easy as it seems."
I've attached a photo of me. :)

Hi KDE!

I'm Piyush Aggarwal, a fourth year undergrad pursuing B.Tech from a
college in New Delhi, India. I have seen some of my college mates bag
internships to work at hot technologies like Deep Learning, Android,
at places like DRDO and Microsoft, with stipends more than the income
of an average Indian fresh out of college. When I started my FOSS
journey on 16 June 2018 with #dgplug, little did I know where would I
be one year later. :)
Ever since I came back from the PyCon India 2018, Hyderabad, I’ve been
a lot more involved in public speaking, volunteering at technical
events and KDE.
During my time as a GSoC mentee, I learnt a lot of different things.
Not just high quality coding using C++14 and Qt, but also about
release cycles, need of documentation, continuous integration,
patience and attention to detail. And these were only the technical
things that I learnt- I made new friends in my mentors, learnt more
about finance and even got a chance to meet my mentors in person in
the middle of the GSoC period! While I could not get to meet the team
at the opportunity during the GSoC period, I was able to meet "almost"
all the regular contributors of the team, but it was a second-to-none
experience nonetheless :) . I also got to meet all other members of
the community that I only knew by their nicks, and it's an amazing
feeling to be able to connect those nicks to actual people in real
life. GSoC has been a very crucial part of my growth as a software
developer, and I hope to achieve greater things with the knowledge I
earned as a student working with a project that I love! 💖

Best
Piyush Aggarwal
https://piyush.tech