[off-topic] Re: desktop icons with relative path to .desktop file

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 15:39:02 BST 2023

On Thu, 2023-06-08 at 15:45 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> you can fork FOSS whose devs you dislike

Hi,

only when 2 things come together

1. you must have the skills

2. you must have the time

A third point, hardware, completely disregarded. I don't mean the driver
problem, but the variety of hardware combinations that can lead to
things such as jitter, which becomes an unsolvable problem in real-time
applications in terms of software.

Proprietary systems cannot be replaced by a good attitude and FLOSS
only.

Don't get me wrong, good attempts exist, such as
https://www.cip-project.org/ .

However, it's of no use to the freelance artist, for example, if Linux
isn't even remotely up-to-date in many domains. If I want to, for
example, I can play violins with my guitar, that's not possible with a
MIDIfied guitar and a sample player only, you need software that models
a violin.

You don't get everything you need to make a living when using FLOSS
only.

Non-linear video editing even without all the patented features? Desktop
publishing? It's not just about what's possible with Linux, it's about
how quickly you can achieve a result.

We cannot just build a car, even if we have got the skills, we still
need the time, the room and tools to do this. If we are able to build
our own car, we still need to get the permission to use it.

It's not much different for software.

Not even an all-rounder has unlimited time and needs to prioritize. Does
s/he want to write software or does s/he want to produce something that
already requires mature software?

My everyday user-centric Linux distribution is Arch Linux. I'm currently
experimenting with Alpine Linux. Something like this is time consuming
even with a lot of experience. You can't just install a user-friendly
distro to get things done, there are proprietary solutions for certain
tasks.

But I must stop writing now, as I have yet to bake my buns and weave the
fabric for my laundry right after I have sheared the sheep that graze on
my lands.

Regards,
Ralf