On "gardening" code reviews

AnnoyingRains annoyingrain5 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:15:07 GMT 2023

To clarify, this is the MR process:
If it has been a month since the last activity, a reminder is sent and the
stale label is added
If another two months passes, then the MR is finally closed.

While I agree that MRs awaiting review shouldn’t be closed, if it has been
more than three months, including two months after a ping message that
sends everyone involved an email and temporarily increased visibility in
the MR list due to activity, I don’t think it will ever be reviewed; and if
it is going to be reviewed, that can still happen.

> Why do you need a label, the stale MRs are all nicely collected at
https://invent.kde.org/teams/gardening/gitlab/-/issues
Sure, there is a list of stale MRs there, but most people don’t know it
exists and it is difficult to sort it per project or team. For example, I
cannot search for all stale Dolphin bugs as a dolphin developer. It also
makes it much more hidden from the native gitlab list of MRs. I am also
hoping that seeing a big red “Gardening: Stale” label on an MR in the MR
list should turn a few heads and cause it to gain some interest from
developers.

> It's not that they don't have visibility
Correct, but I am trying to not lower the visibility too much when doing
this, as MRs can always be reopened!

- Kye Potter, KDE Gardening