Dropping dead(?) Python bindings generation code?

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Feb 12 20:31:31 GMT 2022

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 6:36 AM Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org>
wrote:

> Hi,

Hi there,

> trying to ensure some changes do not break the Python binding generation,
> actually tried to activate that, but found at least on current openSUSE TW
> there seem to be no longer any working dependencies. Also the openSUSE TW
> packages of the KF modules seem to also be build without bindings, for the
> samples I checked.
>

> Then I found that on both gitlab & jenkins CI the binding generation is
> also
> skipt (at least for KCoreAddons on all platforms, but seems also
> everywhere
> else).
> Some related commit removing the support talks about "deterministic"
> builds
> though:
> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-tooling/-/commit/
> 6a92fdf747990d2e074e92b2bdc224efc9b08740

Not sure if SUSE hit the same issues we did, but the build of these on KDE
CI has been disabled for a long time because the Python bindings did not
build reliably.
This was caused by dependency sequencing issues from my understanding
within CMake.

Consequently we would get builds falling over periodically for no reason
other than the timing within the build itself.
This usually made it pretty difficult for Dependency Builds to complete as
at least one Framework would invariably fall over.

Without that being fixed, we would continue to have the Python bindings
support disabled on the CI system regardless of anything else being fixed.

> Then on #kde-devel I was told that"pyqt5 5.15.6 + sip4" do no more go
> together, referencing
> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2021-November/044346.html
> :
> > It wasn't an intentional breakage but it's not something I'm going to
> rush
> to fix.
>
> Who feels in charge of the Python binding support? Is there a chance
> someone
> will work on this soonish?
>
> Or could we drop it now, and save everyone the cmake warning messages they
> cannot fix and also the bad feeling to change things that might break
> binding
> generation support even further?
>
> It was suggested that "the only reasonable way forward it to port to
> modern
> sip" "but that requires an almost full rewrite".
> Which sounds as if any future system will need a rework of ECM's
> PythonModuleGeneration as well, thus keeping the current CMake code in KF
> modules around in chance they might get used again as they are in the
> future
> would not make sense.
>
> Reference removal of the Python binding generation support up as
> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/merge_requests/198
> to serve as example for the discussion.
>
> Cheers
> Friedrich