Dropping dead(?) Python bindings generation code?

Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) christoph at cullmann.io
Sat Feb 12 17:48:43 GMT 2022

On 2022-02-12 18:35, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> trying to ensure some changes do not break the Python binding
> generation, I
> actually tried to activate that, but found at least on current openSUSE
> TW
> there seem to be no longer any working dependencies. Also the openSUSE
> TW
> packages of the KF modules seem to also be build without bindings, for
> the
> samples I checked.
>
> Then I found that on both gitlab & jenkins CI the binding generation is
> also
> skipt (at least for KCoreAddons on all platforms, but seems also
> everywhere
> else).
> Some related commit removing the support talks about "deterministic"
> builds
> though:
> https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/ci-tooling/-/commit/
> 6a92fdf747990d2e074e92b2bdc224efc9b08740
>
> Then on #kde-devel I was told that"pyqt5 5.15.6 + sip4" do no more go
> together, referencing
> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2021-November/044346.html:
>> It wasn't an intentional breakage but it's not something I'm going to
>> rush
> to fix.
>
> Who feels in charge of the Python binding support? Is there a chance
> someone
> will work on this soonish?
>
> Or could we drop it now, and save everyone the cmake warning messages
> they
> cannot fix and also the bad feeling to change things that might break
> binding
> generation support even further?
>
> It was suggested that "the only reasonable way forward it to port to
> modern
> sip" "but that requires an almost full rewrite".
> Which sounds as if any future system will need a rework of ECM's
> PythonModuleGeneration as well, thus keeping the current CMake code in
> KF
> modules around in chance they might get used again as they are in the
> future
> would not make sense.
>
> Reference removal of the Python binding generation support up as
> https://invent.kde.org/frameworks/kcoreaddons/-/merge_requests/198
> to serve as example for the discussion.

One of the reasons we never tried to restore the Python scripting in
Kate
in the KF5 era was the missing bindings for most stuff.

I would assume one could just drop the current non-working state.

Perhaps for the KF6 era one might think about getting PySide
bindings working... If somebody is up for that.

Greetings
Christoph

--
Ignorance is bliss...