D18380: KIO: make file dialog columns resizable again (and movable)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 20 22:55:00 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   I don't see the squeezed text when using Breeze and Noto Sans. Am I missing something?

  No, I don't think so. This must correspond to the 2nd pair of images I attached.

  >   I kind of hope so, because I predict that if we ship with text that gets squeezed at various sizes, we'll totally get bug reports about it. :-)

  No, this is mostly a font-specific thing; Noto Sans apparently doesn't stretch (nor squeeze) at typical UI sizes.
  And do you know of examples where this widget does NOT use the generic text font for the directory list? IOW, what are the chances that a single user can get instances of this widget where the font doesn't stretch and other instances where the font does stretch (because of being at another size or family)? Would they even notice?

  I kind of agree with the principle of not complicating things overly, but I also kind of like the effect I created here. Who could we add to this review to get some more opinions?

  I have a little font tinker app at github:RJVB/fontweightissue-qt5 (and a plasma-integration patch that adds support for alternative "kdeglobals" configurations at https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/blob/master/Linux/kf5/kf5-plasma-integration/files/patch-support-alt-config.diff ;) )

  FWIW, there's also a possibility to reduce letter spacing which can help here, but there the margin for error is a lot smaller.