question on referring to deceased contributors

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 23 00:52:00 GMT 2023

On 12/22/23 18:50, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dijous, 21 de desembre de 2023, a les 19:54:54 (CET), Jack Ostroff va
> escriure:
>> Good afternoon all,
> Good afternoon.
>> While updating the KMyMoney handbook, there are several sections
>> written by a contributor who is deceased.
> That is sad news :(
The loss was a few years ago, and we have already added an appropriate
notation in places he is credited as a contributor.
>> While I still want to give
>> him credit for the work, I'm wondering what to do with his email
>> address, which is obviously no longer valid.  Should I just replace the
>> address with "Deceased"?  Is there any policy or history of what to do
>> here?
> I'm not sure this list is the best to answer this, adding in copy the KDE eV
> board in case they know about any such policy.
>
> Now i'm going into total guessing territory and just my opinion territory:
>   * If the email was added as a way to add contact or give "visibility", just
> remove it
I will do that in many places.  However,  in this case, I am
specifically asking about where he is listed as an author of a
chapter/section within the handbook.  Normally the list of authors
includes names and emails.  I suppose I could just replace the email
with "deceased." in those places.
>   * If the email was added as some way to do copyright claim, as far as I
> understand the copyright passed to after his death, so that person should be
> listed, or contacted and convinced to sign the KDE FLA on behalf of the
> deceased person? https://ev.kde.org/rules/fla/
That is relevant, as he did contribute to the code.  If his email
account still exists, I will ask his brother (who is the one who
notified us) about signing.