Ctrl+Y shortcut for redo

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Thu Aug 31 13:54:15 BST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 14:32, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 31 August 2006 13:32, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > at the risk of starting a huge flamewar: The KDE user interface
> > guidelines currently list Ctrl+Shift+Z as only shortcut for 'redo'.
> > What do you think about adding Ctrl+Y as additional shortcut for that
> > action?
>
> Isn't this the wrong ML for that?

Hmm, perhaps. kde-hci or kde-guidelines then? But maybe we can make this a
quick discussion :)

> > On Windows and Mac OS X Ctrl+Y is available as additional shortcut,
> > too, and I personally find it very annoying when switching between the
> > three that I can't portably use Ctrl+Y (which is much easier to reach
> > for my clumsy sausage fingers :)
>
> Ehm, does that mean you still use the DE keyboard layout? Tsk tsk tsk..
> Using us-layout ctrl-shift-z can even be done by the cat ;)

I'm using a US keyboard layout.

> I recall the huge discussions we had long ago and every time there was
> an "ok make that default" there were many people later coming in about
> all the keyboard shortcuts being taken already and all unexpected
> clashes.

In this case I'm not asking about the change of a default, just about adding a
shortcut that is otherwise not taken already. I'm not aware of any clash.

> For that reason this should be present in the kpersonalizer (as I thought
> it already was) and not eat an additional key IMO.

Do you mean an entry in kpersonalizer that asks whether Ctrl+Y should be
available as additional shortcut for redo? Sounds like overkill to me.

I'm basically wondering: What do we loose by providing it additionally?

The advantage I see is that it simply makes it easier for people coming from
Windows or OS X without us loosing any functionality or introducing a clash.

Simon