Ctrl+Y shortcut for redo

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Aug 31 14:17:25 BST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 14:54, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > I recall the huge discussions we had long ago and every time there
> > was an "ok make that default" there were many people later coming in
> > about all the keyboard shortcuts being taken already and all
> > unexpected clashes.
>
> In this case I'm not asking about the change of a default, just about
> adding a shortcut that is otherwise not taken already. I'm not aware of
> any clash.

I know what you meant, the point I was trying to make is that when you
reserve the ctrl-Y combo for undo the effect is that nobody else can use
that anymore. We only have a limited number of keys.
I'm very sure (just about positive) that there is a clash. The basic fact
that there are not enough keys to map to all actions means you are
virtually guaranteed to get clashes if you look for the right app.

> > For that reason this should be present in the kpersonalizer (as I
> > thought it already was) and not eat an additional key IMO.
>
> Do you mean an entry in kpersonalizer that asks whether Ctrl+Y should
> be available as additional shortcut for redo? Sounds like overkill to
> me.

No, one where it changes the default to the 'Windows style' so it only
uses ctrl-y and alt-F4 etc.

> I'm basically wondering: What do we loose by providing it additionally?

A key :)
Keys with just one modifier are pretty highly wanted 'property' due to the
low amount of combinations available.

> The advantage I see is that it simply makes it easier for people coming
> from Windows or OS X without us loosing any functionality or
> introducing a clash.

Those people are better off using the windows styled shortcuts anyway.
--
Thomas Zander