[FreeNX-kNX] SOLVED!!! CentOS6 FreeNX never starts session

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:42:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM,  <chris at ccburton.com> wrote:

>> You can still have mouse copy/paste and resize, it's just done on
>> your local xterm/putty/whatever instead of inside a remote X
>> session.  For the odd GUI tool, SSH's X11 forwarding will make that
>> automagically work.
>
> . . . at half the speed of treacle if yast is anything to go by . . .

Yes, I'm sure there are tricks to make other tools work, but the point
is that freenx/NX is so good that there's not much reason to ever do
things differently than you would at an X-capable console.

>> > Just use NX and don't look back.  Even if non-X stuff worked as well,
>> > you'd still have to find matching character-mode terminal emulators
>> > across the client platforms you use.   You can grab the running
>> > freenx session onto linux/windows/mac clients and barely know the
>> > difference.
>>
>> I'd have to veto NX just because VX ConnectBot works great on
>> Android phones (sliders, in particular), while there's no NX client
>> for Android.

Keeping freenx sessions parked with ongoing jobs doesn't do anything
to stop you from ssh'ing in from lesser platforms.

>>  Yes, I do real, serious, heavy-lifting *work* from my
>> phone, so I don't have to carry a laptop around with me at
>> absolutely ALL times.

I do that once in a while, but generally have the laptop available and
if I actually have to type something I'll fire it up.   NX even works
reasonably well with the laptop tethered to the phone in the middle of
nowhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com