[FreeNX-kNX] SOLVED!!! CentOS6 FreeNX never starts session

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sat Feb 16 10:39:21 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 16/02/2013 01:51:04:

> Sonofabitch!  I figured it out.
>
> It was a bit of a shot in the dark (I still can't untangle those
> messy NX scripts), but I spun-up another VM with CentOS6 and freenx,
> and watched it work just fine.  Even VMWare-tools didn't cause a
> problem.  So I considered WTH could be different enough between the
> two to cause problems.  In a flash of inspiration I started looking
> into /etc/profile.d/ scripts, and found a suspicious character...
> Sure enough, *yum -y erase bash-completion* has COMPLETELY solved
> this damn problem.

Was that stopping bash working completely
or just FreeNX
or most scripts
 ???

>  This one incident completely negates any benefit
> I've ever gotten from it, so it's gone for good.
>
> Some more thoughts in-line below...

[SNIP]

> You can still have mouse copy/paste and resize, it's just done on
> your local xterm/putty/whatever instead of inside a remote X
> session.  For the odd GUI tool, SSH's X11 forwarding will make that
> automagically work.

. . . at half the speed of treacle if yast is anything to go by . . .

> > Just use NX and don't look back.  Even if non-X stuff worked as well,
> > you'd still have to find matching character-mode terminal emulators
> > across the client platforms you use.   You can grab the running
> > freenx session onto linux/windows/mac clients and barely know the
> > difference.
>
> I'd have to veto NX just because VX ConnectBot works great on
> Android phones (sliders, in particular), while there's no NX client
> for Android.

Yup -  seriously mssing

>  Yes, I do real, serious, heavy-lifting *work* from my
> phone, so I don't have to carry a laptop around with me at
> absolutely ALL times.

We believe you.

I have to make do with a netbook :(

The first one I bought cost me UK£1,700  !!!
        ( ok just before they were properly invented
                and it was a $ony vaio ) )

[SNIP]

> Doesn't apply to me, I couldn't even get an xterm window up, never-
> mind GNOME.

 . . . somewhat diagnostic . . .

> But at least I finally found a fix.  I do appreciate the help.

. . . and we like the feedback .  . .     :)