[FreeNX-kNX] nxviewer vs vncviewer

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Sat Apr 13 11:51:56 UTC 2013

freenx-knx-bounces at kde.org wrote on 13/04/2013 02:57:02:

> I have googled and been to !M KB without luck, so I guess I need to
> ask you good people!

flattery gets you anywhere ??

> I have a 12.04 Ubuntu server with freenx installed and working fine
> for X apps.

good

> I can connect from remote machines and run either a DE (e.g., lxde)
> or individual windowed apps (LibreOffice, Firefox, etc.).
> I am using the NX client on my 2 remote machines, one Ubuntu, one
> Windows 2000.
>
> Now I want to connect to the freenx server and have it proxy a VNC
> session from a Windows machine to my remote client.

OK.

Dont forget you can also use
          rdesktop
to windows ( if you like that sort of thing )

> To clarify... the freenx server (aka "proxy machine") and the
> windows machine running a VNC server (aka "VNC host") are on the
> same (workplace) network.

yup

> From home I want to NX from my "remote client" to the nx proxy
> machine and be able to manipulate the desktop of the VNC host.

yup

> After "connected", "authenticated" and "downloading session data"
> confirmation messages, I get "connection error" message.
>
> I've turned debug to level 7 via node.conf on the server.
>  Checking the session log in .nx/ under my home directory on the
> server, I see a single line:
>
> /usr/lib/nx/nxnode: line 818: /usr/lib/nx/nxviewer: No such file or
directory

You shouldn't be getting to here.

Set
        ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER="1"
in
        /etc/nxserver/node.conf

<boring explanation>

This code section is obsolete
and
nxviewer which was ( or would have been) a custom vncviewer
(included as much for compatibility with nomachine as for anything)
        **  doesnt exist **
but
hasn't been removed because no one has set the default
        ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER=
in
        nxloadconfig
as above ( even I haven't, but I don't use it (much) )

</boring explanation>

> First, please correct me if I have a fundamental misunderstanding
> since most of the vnc related threads I've found concern accessing
> the display :0 session on the freenx proxy machine, in a 2 machine
scenario.

you have been caught out by "missing documentation" syndrome

Luckily I can function like a dynamic .pdf, having had to work it all out
myself . . .

> I'm attempting a 3 machine scenario, which the docs seem to show is
> a normal use case.

Yup.

You can vnc to anywhere from the server, but if you want the NX server you
can
        1/ shadow an NX session
        2/ X connect to the console

You can also vnc from a normal NX desktop or as an application

> From my reading it sounds to me like nxviewer is no longer used, and
> vncviewer should be sufficient.

Never existed AFAICT (DBTCMIIW)

> vncviewer is installed and working on the server, nx proxy machine.

good

> I've also confirmed that x11vnc, xvnc4viewer, freenx-vnc and
> tightvncserver are all now installed.

good

> "nxpasswd" also exists in /usr/lib/nx.

good

> I've toyed with all the relevant node.conf settings I can find,
> namely "ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER", "COMMAND_VNCVIEWER", etc.

No. Did it work ??

It's easier to ask me than plough through all that shell script

> But that's probably the wrong path.... the real question to me is
> why is it trying to run nxviewer instead of vncviewer?

Well it was prbably a good idea at the time ( 2008 )

> I am afraid I'm doing something stupid, but can't for the life of me
> figure out what :-)

 No decumentation, No wonder

> Any help Very Much Appreciated !!!

Oh good. better than flatteneing me

> Thanks,
>
> MikeM
>
> PS: I sudo apt-get dist-upgrade frequently :-)

excellent example

and don't forget to eat your greens, oily fish once a week

and if you're British get your kids the MMR triple vaccine

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22120195

ALSO

let us know how you get on !!!!