[FreeNX-kNX] nxviewer vs vncviewer

Mike Morris mcmorris95125 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 05:54:27 UTC 2013

Now I want to connect to the freenx server and have it proxy a VNC session from a Windows machine to my remote client. To clarify... the freenx server (aka "proxy machine") and the windows machine running a VNC server (aka "VNC host") are on the same (workplace) network. From home I want to NX from my "remote client" to the nx proxy machine and be able to manipulate the desktop of the VNC host.

Why do you need for it to be an automated proxy, or whatever it is exactly you're trying to accomplish. Why can't you just open up a terminal in your NX session and then run vncviewer to connect to the windows system? I do this all time, and for connecting to the actual console on linux workstations I setup x11vnc on the workstation and then vnc into that from within the nx session.

Thanks for this option Sabuj! For myself this is fine and works great, but what I'm really working on is setting up NXBuilder for end users to have one click access to the common apps. I've got all the apps working that can run natively in linux, but there are 2 apps I'm still having to run under windows... hence the automated proxy need. I'm hoping for a unified interface to everything, with one click access to it all, and NXBuilder looks like the best option...

Should the scenario that I describe even work? It looks to me like that's the example given in the docs, but maybe I've misunderstood?

I suppose I should try writing a shell script to start the VNC viewer, and call the script from nx client/builder. It just frustrates me when I can't do something that I think I ought to be able to. My wife says "stubborn", I say "persistent" :-)