[FreeNX-kNX] nxviewer vs vncviewer

Mike Morris mcmorris95125 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 20:28:05 UTC 2013

>________________________________
> > I have googled and been to !M KB without luck, so I guess I need to
>
>> ask you good people!
>
>flattery gets you anywhere ??
>Definitely not flattery... folks contributing time & talent to projects such as freenx are "good" in my eyes, insofar as that goes.

But... to answer your question, yes ;-)

Dont forget you can also use
>          rdesktop
>to windows ( if you like that sort of thing )

possibly an alternative... i'm trying to automate things for other users... and I have to assume zero computer savvy on their part

> /usr/lib/nx/nxnode: line 818: /usr/lib/nx/nxviewer: No such file or
directory

>You shouldn't be getting to here.
>Set
>        ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER="1"
>in
>        /etc/nxserver/node.conf
>No help there... I am getting the can't find nxviewer error with ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER="1".

<boring explanation>

>This code section is obsolete
>and
>nxviewer which was ( or would have been) a custom
vncviewer
>(included as much for compatibility with nomachine
as for anything)
>        **  doesnt
exist **
>but
>Thanks for confirming what I'd sussed out about that... I wasn't sure.

hasn't been removed because no one has set the default
)
>This raises 2 questions for me:
	1. Looks like ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER s/b set automatically when nxviewer can't be found, right? I've set it manually anyway, in both node.conf and/or nxloadconfig, to no avail

	2. Am I right that nxloadconfig defines the "default defaults" and is overriden by node.conf? If so, then I don't need to worry about the setting(s) in nxloadconfig, right?

</boring explanation>

>you have been caught out by "missing documentation"
syndrome

>Luckily I can function like a dynamic .pdf, having
had to work it all out
>myself . . .
>Thanks for that!!! Anything I can do to help w/ docs?

Never existed AFAICT (DBTCMIIW)

DBTCMIIW ?

No. Did it work ??
>Sadly, no, setting ENABLE_EXTERNAL_NXVIEWER="1" did not work.

It's easier to ask me than plough through all that
shell script
>Indeed, but I *do* like to do my homework before publicly confessing my failures :-)

> But that's probably the wrong path.... the real
question to me is
>> why is it trying to run nxviewer instead of vncviewer?
>
>Well it was prbably a good idea at the time ( 2008
)

I'm sure there was a reason for the code... I'm just wondering where the script is going wrong, since as you said above, I should not be getting to this line...

Oh good. better than flatteneing me
>A bit freudian, methinks... ;-?

excellent example

>and don't forget to eat your greens, oily fish once
a week
>"You can take to the left or go straight to the right
Use your days and save your nights
Careful what you eat and watch where you step
Sleep with a light and you got it beat!"
    - The Band, "Stage Fright"

>and if you're British get your kids the MMR triple
vaccine
>The formerly great US of A....

let us know how you get on !!!!