[FreeNX-kNX] locking on a netbook

chris at ccburton.com chris at ccburton.com
Tue Nov 10 14:28:34 UTC 2009

roland <roland at cat.be> wrote on 10/11/2009 13:23:08:

 etc etc

> I am the only one that is connected to that server (Compaq-HP ML350 6GB
> RAM)
> When I work locally, nomachine will start from an acer travelmate 3000
> centrino processor. In this case there are no problems, except that work

Server works, FreeNX works, account works. Good

> is done on a 21 inch Display, (Nomachine full screen) and experienced as

> slower than Vnc.

VNC doesn't have to have the time lag for compression so on a fast LAN
with
no latency issues . . .

> When I work remote, nomachine starts from a netbook Samsung Atom
processor

Should work, though xp is now so slow, memory hungry and bloated that it
probably won't go as well as Linux on a netbook.

Anyone would think M$ wanted to push us onto Vista or W7.

> In the latter case, there is no problem with login. It happens, as I
> mentioned before, after some little on-line time, few minutes,
sometimes,
> exceptionally, much longer.

The timeout due to not completeing takes about 3-4 mins AFAIK.

If it reaches 10 mins then it's probably something else.

> Remote I work via a DSL-stick (HSPDA) or from a Wifi, depending upon
where
> I am, i.o.w. everywhere in Belgium, Germany or France.

HSPDA sticks often end up working a lot slower then you would hope, not
always
due to 3G issues, but the IP net behind them.

Its worth keeping an  eye on what speeds you are getting. One week it can
be OK another week it seems OK browsing, but is slow and may have high
packet loss.

Dos this happen all the time on a variety of wifi points too ??

> I hope this is enough info.
>

> I forgot to write below, that after this little time, the session is not

> disconnected, but only input-locked.

?????

Do you mean that if you run something with output to screen that you can
see the output continuing to move, but can't control the session ??

When you re-connect to the running session, does it time out again or work

continually after that ??

Are you trying to connect remote smb drives or printers etc??

Are you doing other work at the same time, email clients etc

> But I have the impression that, even after locking, some keystrokes are
> accepted. p.e. when I do Ctrl-Alt-T, nothing happens.
> When coming back, after Ctrl-Alt-shift-Esc, the session showes the
message
> that Ctrl-Alt-T should show, i.e. the option cancel session.

I would guess networking issues based on what you say.

BUT

you haven't told us what hapens when you put the Samsung netbook on the
LAN
and try it locally !!

http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_FAQ