[FreeNX-kNX] locking on a netbook

roland roland at cat.be
Tue Nov 10 16:16:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:28:34 +0100, <chris at ccburton.com> wrote:

> roland <roland at cat.be> wrote on 10/11/2009 13:23:08:
>
>  etc etc
>> >
>> I am the only one that is connected to that server (Compaq-HP ML350 6GB
>> RAM)
>> When I work locally, nomachine will start from an acer travelmate 3000
>> centrino processor. In this case there are no problems, except that work
>

> Server works, FreeNX works, account works. Good
>

>> is done on a 21 inch Display, (Nomachine full screen) and experienced as
>
>> slower than Vnc.

I normally use on my office chair a connection over a slower network,
using the grid,electricity network of my home.
So I tested the netbook directly wired to the server over a 1Gb-swith.
Speed was very good but only for 10 min. Then the keyboard was locked.

Every time it locks the screen moves a little bit from left or right or
vice versa. The only thing one can do at that moment is Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Esc.

> VNC doesn't have to have the time lag for compression so on a fast LAN
> with
> no latency issues . . .
>

>> When I work remote, nomachine starts from a netbook Samsung Atom
> processor
>>

> Should work, though xp is now so slow, memory hungry and bloated that it
> probably won't go as well as Linux on a netbook.
>
> Anyone would think M$ wanted to push us onto Vista or W7.
>

>> In the latter case, there is no problem with login. It happens, as I
>> mentioned before, after some little on-line time, few minutes,
> sometimes,
>> exceptionally, much longer.
>
> The timeout due to not completeing takes about 3-4 mins AFAIK.
>
> If it reaches 10 mins then it's probably something else.
>

>> Remote I work via a DSL-stick (HSPDA) or from a Wifi, depending upon
> where
>> I am, i.o.w. everywhere in Belgium, Germany or France.
>>

> HSPDA sticks often end up working a lot slower then you would hope, not
> always
> due to 3G issues, but the IP net behind them.

In Belgium and Germany speed is almost Dsl.

> Its worth keeping an  eye on what speeds you are getting. One week it can
> be OK another week it seems OK browsing, but is slow and may have high
> packet loss.
>
> Dos this happen all the time on a variety of wifi points too ??

Everywhere

>> I hope this is enough info.
>>

>> I forgot to write below, that after this little time, the session is not
>
>> disconnected, but only input-locked.
>
> ?????

The keyboard gets locked. No other input is possible beside
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Esc.

> Do you mean that if you run something with output to screen that you can
> see the output continuing to move, but can't control the session ??
>
> When you re-connect to the running session, does it time out again or
> work
>
> continually after that ??

No the same problem is repeated

> Are you trying to connect remote smb drives or printers etc??

No

> Are you doing other work at the same time, email clients etc

Maybe emails

>> But I have the impression that, even after locking, some keystrokes are
>> accepted. p.e. when I do Ctrl-Alt-T, nothing happens.
>> When coming back, after Ctrl-Alt-shift-Esc, the session showes the
> message
>> that Ctrl-Alt-T should show, i.e. the option cancel session.
>>

> I would guess networking issues based on what you say.
>
> BUT
>
> you haven't told us what hapens when you put the Samsung netbook on the
> LAN
> and try it locally !!

So, on the local network, on every wifi and with stick same problem.

I have the impression that it has something to do with video rendering
These netbooks don't have much of videocards.

I have one netbook acer with linux on it. Maybe I could try the same on
this portable.