[FreeNX-kNX] "dcop kwin default reconfigure" restores nice window title bars after session resume

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Sep 2 21:48:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

now that so many more KDE developers seemed to have turned into regular
FreeNX users (and FreeNX session resumers) here at aKademy in Malaga
(name and location of the annual KDE Contributors and Users Conference),
I also encountered many complaints about the really bad looking window
title bars that appear so broken after a session suspend-and-resume
cycle. A blemish that I know already long about, but never cared a lot
for...

This buglet appears to only hit KDE when used with "Plastik" style. It
is yet unknown what causes it.

To me this always was a minor bug, concerning the "beauty" and not at
all limiting the usefulness of my NX sessions.

I already knew that using kcontrol and switching style to an other one
and back to "Plastik" restores the clean window title bars.

What I always presumed, that there could be a "dcop" command to refresh
the style, I now investigated a little bit closer (with the help of
Sandro Giessl, the Plastik style creator), turned out to be true: So
use this command

    dcop kwin default reconfigure

to restore a clean look of the title bars if they annoy you after you
reconnected to a KDE session. (This is not a fix, but only a quick
workaround).

Cheers,
Kurt

P.S.: In case you do not know: "dcop" is a commandline interface to
      the core KDE DCOP component. DCOP facilitates KDE interprocess
      communication. With the help of "dcop" you can script a lot of
      KDE applications. See here for a first overview on dcop:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCOP
        http://www.volny.cz/bwian/dcop.html
        http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/36/KDE_Scripting_DCOP.pdf