[FreeNX-kNX] poor performance over ADSL - what settings are best?

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Sat Mar 12 18:52:54 UTC 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> Fabian Franz wrote:
>
>>> Hopefully nomachine NX and free NX will get better one day :)
>>

>> Well, you can use a whole Desktop with VNC, so you can with NX -
>> where is your problem ;-) ?
>>
>> For me NX is already good enough ...
>

> One thing I miss is connecting to an already running desktop (i.e.,
> the one I'm running at home - only to connect for a while to see if I
> got new mail/if someone talked to me using PSI/Jabber etc.).
>
> AFAIK, with NX you can only start your own desktop from the beginning
> (i.e., start it using NX); or you can do a mix like connecting via NX
> to a VNC server, but that's not it.

Tomasz,
you can do this by connecting to a vnc-session on your homecomputer via NX.

If you install NX and vnc-server on your home computer, and then
configure the NX client to connect to vnc with vnc server='the
LAN-adress of your homecomputer'. You will then use the ssh-tunnel to
connect to the nx-server, which in turn connects to the vnc-server
(locally) using the highly optimized vnc-compression already available
in the NX-sw.

Like this;
                    ssh/nx                        vnc
NX Client =======NX Server ----------VNC Server (desktop)