[FreeNX-kNX] Re: floppy, cdrom access for roaming users

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Thu Jan 27 13:54:18 UTC 2005

Am Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2005 10:09 schrieb Chris Fanning:
> Happy to see you're back.
>
> Thanks for the tip, comfirming my need to learn more bash.

Hi Chris,

first of all: please reply to messages on-list. (I also sometimes just use the
web-interface to search for new messages)

> I've edited nxnode adding  ...
> export NXUSERIP=$userip

I think this is a good idea. I'll add an configurable entry, so that
administrators can disable it, if they don't want their users to know their
own IP.

> ..to node_startsession()

I think we still have a problem with reconnection, as I'm taking the stored IP
from the stored sessionfile, which might be wrong.

Can you confirm this bug?

I think I should rather update the IP in it ...

I'll add a fix to CVS.

> the file icon_setup is now like this.
> #! /bin/bash
>
> desktop_icon=$HOME/Desktop/floppy.desktop
> sed "s/nxclient/$NXUSERIP/g"
> /usr/share/terminal/floppy.desktop.template > $desktop_icon

Btw. there is a great syntax in the desktop files, which at least KDE does
support (I don't know about Gnome):

Exec[$e]=smb://$(echo $NXUSERIP)/fd

This would allow to use the same login from several machines.

However this would have problems with reconnection:

Working could be:

in nxnode:

export NXSESSIONID=$sessionid

in your startup-script:

echo "$NXUSERIP" > /home/.nx/C-$NXSESSIONID/userip

Exec[$e]=smb://$(cat /home/.nx/C-$NXSESSIONID/userip)/fd

As the sessionid does not change over several sessions this would allow the
desktop file to be always correct - once that reconnection ip-bug (see above)
is fixed.

> I thought that better not to call it from within nxnode because not
> all sessions want this. eg. Running a nxclient from windows.

Yeah, thats a good idea.

cu

Fabian