[FreeNX-kNX] bandwidth used when client is minimized

Seb Wills saw27 at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 10:51:56 UTC 2005

I've noticed that if I minimize (iconify) my nxclient, significant
bandwidth between the server and client is still used if there are updates
being made to the remote desktop (e.g. from clocks, system monitor
graphs, screensavers and other programs which update the display without
user interaction).

It would be nice if, when the nxclient's window is not actually visible to
the user, the traffic between server and client could be reduced the bare
minimum needed to keep the connection alive. This would allow people who
have limited bandwidth quotas, or who pay per byte, to keep their nxclient
sessions running in the background without fear. (The alternative,
suspending and resuming each time you stop/start using a session, is a bit
too cumbersome if you frequently dip in and out of a remote session
throughout the day).

To give an idea of numbers, I found that my remote gnome desktop, the only
'dynamic' content on which is a tiny system monitor graph in the gnome
panel, seems to cause roughly 2.5kbytes/sec of NX traffic when the client
is minimized. If I enable the screensaver (which is stupid, of course) and
minimize the client, that will saturate my 1Mbit connection displaying
fireworks to nobody. Even if I remove the system monitor graph so the
desktop appears entirely static, I get around 500bytes a second of
traffic. (I'm using the nomachine client on Linux, connecting to Linux
server - usually FreeNX, but I got the same behaviour connecting to the
nomachine testdriver server.)

I don't know enough about NX internals to know how hard it would be to
stop updates when the client window is hidden - I imagine there would be
issues to do with keeping the client's cache up to date. Just thought I'd
throw the idea out there.

Seb