Archive photos to DVD (James Orr)

James White James at whitehousenorth.com
Sun Feb 25 12:48:22 GMT 2024

There are solutions at scale that do the job really reliably while using minimal bandwidth for backup, but you need to spend at least $10,000 and keep track of a 24-hr I.T. expert who'll charge you a bit every month. No cloud required.

  *   Restore one or all files from any point in time easily
  *   Survive regional disaster (flood, fire, burglary, etc)
  *   Only back up file difference to local NAS - up to hourly
  *   Only back difference from local NAS to remote NAS nightly
  *   Recover from virus, crypto locker etc. with minimal loss
  *   Scalable to many terabytes (or more) fairly easily
  *   Digital protection from 'bit-rot'  (the greatest threat of all)
  *   Any equipment can fail and still photos are easily restored
  *   Total ownership and privacy of your intellectual property
  *   No Microsoft, Google, Zenfolio etc. required

I use one for my 30-year archive of about 8 terabytes. It's a bit overwhelming for an individual - you need the I.T. expert, but the solution does exist and eliminates the fear of failing equipment, virus, crypto locker, regional disaster, etc.

For a large studio (or a well-off individual), this is a good deal, but for most, there just isn't a safe and secure solution other than archival prints.

I fear that there will be very few photos that survive this generation; no cd, dvd or hard drive will survive.  Our grandchildren won't have much to remember us by.

james white