GSoC proposal draft: Spatial collection with fuzzy queries

Teo Mrnjavac teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:10:24 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> I think this is great idea, but you should read a topic (i don't know if
> it's a good word)
> with subject "GSOC - intelligent playlists" (it's right here:
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/amarok/2009-March/007757.html).
Hello
I'm aware of your proposal, and I'm also familiar with the Islands of
Music paper you used as inspiration :)
My implementation would be somewhat different, I already mentioned it
on the Amarok IRC channel a month ago so at least some of the devs are
familiar with it.
> My idea is very similar. I want to extract features from acoustic wave and
> make some measure of distance (similarity) betwen songs.
> User interface is now quite simple. You can use SOM, like said Teo Mrnjavac
> to obtain a 2D representation.
I was planning to use PCA rather than SOM, though I would definitely
be open to suggestions. My focus is on visualization rather than on
playlist generation, we already more or less have that in Amarok and
as I understand Soren's implementation is almost done too.
Cheers
TM