Feature request: Time completed in playlist

Tim Bocek tim.bocek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:42:22 UTC 2009

Just thought of a feature request that should be fairly simple from a
programming standpoint to implement, not sure about a GUI design standpoint
though.  I would like to be able to tell at a glance how far I am through a
playlist in terms of time rather than tracks played.  It can be difficult to
judge the current position in a playlist particularly when tracks are of
wildly different lenghts.

For me the motivating use case is opera, where track lengths can very
between 8-minute arias and 30-second recitatives.  For example, if I had a
three-hour opera loaded into the playlist and I was roughly halfway through
by time I could see that I'm at 1:26:01/2:57:32 or whatever.  I'm sure it
would be useful for genres other than classical/opera as well.

I am thinking of something as simple as adding up the lengths of tracks
before the currently playing track plus the position in the current track
(so skipping tracks wouldn't affect the outcome).  This would be displayed
in the status bar next to the total playlist time.  Where the status bar
currently says "43 tracks (2:57:32)" it would now say something like "30/43
tracks (1:26:01/2:57:32)" when Amarok is playing or paused.  When stopped
the original version of the display would be used.  Maybe even with a
percent, like "30/43 tracks (1:26:01/2:57:32) (xx%)", though this doesn't
look very clean...

Surprisingly few media players that I've seen do this and it is something
that I think would be useful (at least for me, not sure about others!) and
easy to implement.  I'm running the latest stable release, not sure if
something like this is already in SVN so I apologize if this is a dupe.

Thoughts?