GSOC - intelligent playlists

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sun Mar 1 20:33:16 UTC 2009

On 1 Mar 2009, at 20:12, zehoss wrote:

> 2009/2/27 Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM, zehoss <zehoss at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > my name is Krzysiek. Together with my friend - Piotrek - we plan
> to create a
> > plugin to amarok.
>
> You essentially can't work on GSoC in teams.
>
> So, I could work alone on GSoC, but research we will do together.

(note: this is my personal opinion, not that of the project)

I don't think we should have an "intelligent playlist" SoC project
this summer. We had Daniel implement the Dynamic Playlists last
summer, with the fuzzy and proportional biases. We have Soren who has
been independently working on an automatic playlist generation system
that is close to ready (it just needs a LOOOT of UI love/usability
work). I believe we have a strong foundation for "new and cool"
intelligent playlists, and we should look into polishing what we have
and making it better instead of having yet another framework.

i don't want to discourage you from participating in the SoC (it's
awesome!), but i just feel like we should try to use our very-limited
SoC spots to new features or essential work.

my 2 cents. thoughts?

leo