[WikiToLearn] Fwd: Re: [Feature] New User Journey

Gianluca Rigoletti gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com
Sat May 21 15:23:20 UTC 2016

> I really want to give life back to this thread because it's not yet
> implemented and it's a crucial point to discuss on.
>
> There are two main suggestions I want to share:
>
> 1) Specialize use cases
> It's very useful to divide and specialize better the use cases. I
> mean, I "see" at least two of them. There's one that is a new user
> that want to create a new course and another one that's a new user
> that want to edit something.

I'd really like that when user register as first, he can write a
course or edit something directly on his own page. We had an example
of a really keen person that started writing about IT topics in the
wrong way. If he knew that, he would have put is effort in a more
useful way. A user that simply wants to edit something is interesting.
How do we manage that? In my opinion he/she should directly write on
the topic's page. What do you think?

> 2) A new course as a whole process
> Starting to write a new course could scare new users as you highlighted.
> Use the personal page it's not bad but we could do better.
> First of all we can imagine the use case "Create a new course" as a
> whole driven process (using a modal for example) with a final recap.

"There is an extension for that" [semicit.]

The other day I found this one:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:GuidedTour Do you mean
something like that or a more advanced driven process?

> At this stage you can ask to the user if he/she want to publish or not
> and so on. Maybe we could store it in his/her UserPage if is not sure

I would take the act of publishing as simple a clicking a button on
the user's page. So the topic (beware that we deprecate the term
"course") written by the user would be seen by its tutors or admins
and if everything is ok the topic will be moved into the main page.

--
Gianluca