[WikiToLearn] [Feature] New User Journey

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 19:01:51 UTC 2016

Hi all,

first off, thanks a lot, Gianluca, for kickstarting this discussion :-)

On 25 April 2016 at 09:15, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, this looks exciting. How often have you had an idea, are full
> of enthusiasm, but then it all drains away in getting all the
> prerequisites set up? This lets the new person begin their work
> immediately, and get that white-hot creativity on the page, NOW.
>
> The Cons are important too, especially fragmentation. But good editors
> will see this and gently guide the authors to work together.

I agree with Valorie, and I think this is a great direction. Have you
tried experimenting with the site to see how a live version could look
like?

> Since this is mostly about content, I think the section editor etc. is
> not as important. You want to guide the new contributor to the
> already-existing or at least already-started pages/books, and begin
> fixing/improving/writing, all under the supervision of editors who
> know their mediawiki/wiki2learn styling and tools, and also the
> subject matter, at least enough to detect fragmentation.

I think the "section editor" is really about making new areas where
chapters can be created (and later, easily moved). What I understood
is that chapters need to belong to certain section anyways, to allow
for different texts on the same topic to exist.

That said, the mocks look really, really cool.

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום