[WikiFM] Sprint on the last weekend of September: a sprint?!?

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 21:16:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

some people of the italian team ventilated the idea of having a 3 days sprint
on WikiToLearn just before the courses start, so 26-28 September or something
like that, to concentrate on preparing it for the herd of students that we are
(or should be) expecting. ;-)

Given the fact that we have a big nucleus of contributors in the area around
Milano (for purely historical reasons), I was thinking to hold it in a place
close to here, maybe in the mountains, but still in a 2-3 hours by car radius
from Milano. There would be about 4-6 core contributors participating to this
meeting, and it would be really good, both for the internal community and for
WikiToLearn.

However, while I value in-person meetings and the enhanced productivity that
they offer, one of the key reasons why Free Software projects work is that
they make everyone welcome and nobody feels excluded from "the office" or
wherever people meet "in private". I also understand that sometimes national
teams need to meet... nationally, to work on a certain localized content, but
I also know how a KDE sprint feels and how much that is important to be what
we are. :-) And, since we will likely also talk of software and
infrastructure, I wouldn't like to leave out anybody interested.

I would really like to do something, but I wouldn't know how to frame it,
since it's really a bit different from how I was used to do. For this I ask,
Valorie, Jeremy, and larger, international community... what do you think it's
best? Call this an unofficial meeting? An Italian meeting? A meeting and stop?
Ask e.V. for some funding and fly somebody from overseas? Have some kind of
press reporting? We have the opportunity to meet often and productively, how
would you frame this (and possibly other similar) kind of event without
separating the community in first and second class?

Please, put on the table your thoughts! :-)

Bye,
-Riccardo