[WikiFM] A few important news

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Tue Jul 28 18:04:57 UTC 2015

Hi,
as a follow-up of today's work, I am sending this e-mail on which I
would really love a feedback from the whole list, since it will be our
identity for the years to come.

First of all, with the help of Andrew, we developed a vision. It is
meant as a kind of "constitution" to guide us in the choice and
direction on which we want to steer the project. Here it is:

WikiToLearn is a platform where students and key people in the
academia can collaboratively create refine and re-assemble notes,
lecture notes or even whole text books, tailored precisely to their
needs. Our philosophy is in two simple sentences: “Knowledge only
grows if shared” and we want you to “Stand on the shoulder of
giants!”.

WikiToLearn concentrates on providing educational content in the most
efficient way. Content reliability is guaranteed by a integrated
peer-review system and a wiki (fast) method for mistake correction.

Please provide feedback and proofreading. It is meant to be extremely
concise and just serve as a guideline.

For the second part, a name change was approved by acclamation.
We registered the wikitolearn.org and wiki2learn.org domains, it is
now a matter of choosing the correct capitalization and alternative.
I am slightly in favor of WikiToLearn because I think it gives us a
slightly more institutional look, but Wiki2Learn looks nicer on the
logo. What do you think? Please provide any kind of feedback. (I
notice now that W2L = Wiki2Learn or = Wiki2LaTeX, our old extension)

On another news, our indian friends (many of which are now part of the
team: welcome aboard!) have developed an interesting strategy to
kickstart W2L in India. They are going to have a BoF with or without
me (depending on the day), in any case, it seems like really exciting
news. This will go on a separate thread in order not to clutter the
discussion on the vision/rename. ;-)

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום