[WikiToLearn Tech] Plans for the next release and related projects

Gianluca Rigoletti gianluca.rigoletti at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 21:36:04 UTC 2016

>> WikiToLearnHome
>> This is the new repo we (Luca, Dario, Davide and me) created to get the
>> best possible WikiToLearn environment up and running as quickly and
>> painlessly as possible, both in production and on development machines. We
>> set the basis for it (we can run a local instance, but not in the clean way
>> we would like) and are in the process of writing the last part of this new
>> project.  The idea is to have the WikiToLearn repo as free as possible from
>> scripts and at the same time improve the experience for the developers,
>> sysadmins, users.
>> The objective is to end this as soon as possible, and get at least the
>> local instance/development scripts ready in the next weeks (2?).
>>
>> I think this is blocking for the next release, it has to be working; open
>> to discuss this. It won't change anything on the user/editor/reader side.

I have some GSoC students that want to set up a local wtl environment.
Should I tell them to wait? Also, the documentation will be updated?

>> texla
>> Texla is the latex parser developed at the sprint (and in the weeks before
>> it) by Davide with the help of a few other people. The plan is to have a web
>> interface where a user can upload latex files and convert/upload them to
>> WikiToLearn, painlessly. We still have quite a lot work to do on this and I
>> think we can release without it.
>

> I hope to continue the work on it with a couple of new contributors in the
> next weeks. Until then, if we need some conversions I could do them in "the
> old way". I'll wait the new system to import the big documents arriving from
> Pisa. In the meanwhile I'll organize my interaction with the editors.

I don't know if it's really related to the tech part or the editor one
(or maybe both) but I would like to know if we can choose someone able
to convert Word documents to mediawiki xml dumps. It's possible but it
requires a little bit of attention, especially for the new conventions
that editor set up.

>> Neverland
>> Let's wait for Gianluca, I don't know enough in the detail about what was
>> done at the sprint. (New features?, fixes?)

I came to the sprint with few clear ideas but they have been
drastically changed due to the editor requests. At the end I will try
to follow this workflow:
 1. Neverland will be still improved with minor features and mainly
bugfixes. It will support Visual Editor as well.
 2. A new skin will be built from scratch, taking care of what has
emerged from the sprint. I'm still thinking about a name.

Tell me if you have something to say about it.

>> VisualEditor
>> Gianluca managed to make VisualEditor run on WikiToLearn! It has some bugs
>> and problems we have to fix, but I think we can release without it (unless
>> something was fixed in the last few days)?

At the end I focused my work on Visual Editor, due to the urgency
(editors, Ale and GSoC student will require it).
It works, but has an annoying bug and I still can't figure it out. Any
help is appreciated. however, I will try to ask VE devs on irc.
IMHO I will release Visual Editor, even if it has some bugs. If I'm
not wrong I can set up ve disabled by default and user can activate it
in their preferences (need to check to be sure). Doing like this we
can use some alpha testers and see if the new editing experience is
fine or requires some major improvements.

So, it's not blocking but for me is important to do implement it in
the next release.

>> Content Referencing
>> I don't know enough. I am sure we don't have this ready and won't need in
>> the release.

I can't tell exactly about content referencing but Visual Editor has
some basics feature about linking content. That is not obviously what
Content Referencing is about but can be a good starting point.

>> Skin for the Blog (Andrea Zanini is working on that, we got some feedback
>> from KDE's VDG). Non blocking.

Andrea has not joined the mailing list yet. I just told him to do, so
I will leave him the word about this.

--
Gianluca