[WikiToLearn Tech] Plans for the next release and related projects

Davide Valsecchi valsecchi.davide94 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 19:31:57 UTC 2016

First of all, thank you Cristian to have started this thread!

At the sprint we had developed a lot of ideas and implemented a few
(great!)  . Now we must organize ourself.

> Hey guys!
>
> I decided to wrote this to discuss a bit about the next release and to
> gather some informations about the ongoing projects.
>
> At the sprint we achieved a lot but we have yet to put in
> production/user-side most of the work we produced there.
>
> I (and I guess you too) would like to see many new stuff coming with the
> next release.
>
> I will try to sum up the status of the ongoing projects I know, and if we
> could use them for the next release.
>
> *WikiToLearn *(the website)
> We are working on 3 different feature branches:
>
>    - liquid2flow, I am in the process of migrating from LiquidThreads to
>    Flow (for the talk pages), things didn't go as planned, we have a few
>    problems with the migration. I contacted upstream and they gave me a few
>    possible fixes, I have yet to try them, there is hop. If we need this fast
>    or if we can't fix it for real we might need to lose all the discussions
>    (or at least the User discussions, which are problematic)
>
> I think that we don't have active discussion pages on the website. For me
is greenlight for a wipe out: better now than when the website will be more
active.

>    -
>    - remove_exts, Martina while at the sprint started the process of
>    cleaning up and updating extensions and also updating/fixing the
>    LocalSettings.php  as well as adding a few quick fixes for extensions
>    related development (error reporting for example). We have to do some
>    testing and then we can merge this without many problems, I think.
>
> Be careful with the git merge, but with some testing for me it's not a
problem.

>    -
>    - dev-wtl-home, the sysadmins created this branch to begin the process
>    of migrating from the old wtl setup to the new WikiToLearnHome one. More in
>    the dedicated secton.
>
> All these 3 are blocking for the next release (IMO).
>
> *WikiToLearnHome*
> This is the new repo we (Luca, Dario, Davide and me) created to get the
> best possible WikiToLearn environment up and running as quickly and
> painlessly as possible, both in production and on development machines. We
> set the basis for it (we can run a local instance, but not in the clean way
> we would like) and are in the process of writing the last part of this new
> project.  The idea is to have the WikiToLearn repo as free as possible from
> scripts and at the same time improve the experience for the developers,
> sysadmins, users.
> The objective is to end this as soon as possible, and get at least the
> local instance/development scripts ready in the next weeks (2?).
>
> I think this is blocking for the next release, it has to be working; open
> to discuss this. It won't change anything on the user/editor/reader side.

You know this matter. If you think that the new release needs the new
system I'm up to you. It depends on what we want to release, isn't it?
Maybe all the system needs a lot of testing in staging before production
and can be postponed of one cycle?

> *texla*
> Texla is the latex parser developed at the sprint (and in the weeks before
> it) by Davide with the help of a few other people. The plan is to have a
> web interface where a user can upload latex files and convert/upload them
> to WikiToLearn, painlessly. We still have quite a lot work to do on this
> and I think we can release without it.

I hope to continue the work on it with a couple of new contributors in the
next weeks. Until then, if we need some conversions I could do them in "the
old way". I'll wait the new system to import the big documents arriving
from Pisa. In the meanwhile I'll organize my interaction with the editors.

> *OCG/Collection*
> Alessandro, Irene and me updated the system to the newer version of nodejs
> (it was running one from 4 years ago). Work is still going on for the
> conversion of tables. Need more details to know if everything is working or
> what needs to be fixed or if we can release.  (We can release without the
> tables)
> We also worked on our fork of the collection extensions, improving the
> user experience, this is already merged in master.

The new loading bar is awsome! Looking forward to seeing it in production.
Other small changes are not blocking and need a lot of testing (node
update), isn't it?

> *Neverland*
> Let's wait for Gianluca, I don't know enough in the detail about what was
> done at the sprint. (New features?, fixes?)
>

> *VisualEditor*
> Gianluca managed to make VisualEditor run on WikiToLearn! It has some bugs
> and problems we have to fix, but I think we can release without it (unless
> something was fixed in the last few days)?
>
> *PDFCheck*
> Currently powered off, I have a simple bug to fix, we don't care for the
> release.
>
> *Infrastructure*
> We are planning the move to the new servers. Luca wants this for the next
> release.
>

> *Content Referencing*
> I don't know enough. I am sure we don't have this ready and won't need in
> the release.
>
> *Other Stuff*
> Cross Wiki Notification (who is working on that?) Not in this release? How
> much work is needed?
> Skin for the Blog (Andrea Zanini is working on that, we got some feedback
> from KDE's VDG). Non blocking.
> BotsForEditors (I am planning to work on that, soon).
>
> Waiting to get your opinion on everything,
>
> Cristian

Last thing. We have to reorganize our feature-based development cycles. I
think that we should wait until this incoming big release and then organize
our work. Let's think at this period like a freeze and debugging for the
release, what do you think?

Davide