[WikiToLearn Tech] Plans for the next release and related projects

Cristian Baldi bld.cris.96 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:57:13 UTC 2016

Hey guys!

I decided to wrote this to discuss a bit about the next release and to
gather some informations about the ongoing projects.

At the sprint we achieved a lot but we have yet to put in
production/user-side most of the work we produced there.

I (and I guess you too) would like to see many new stuff coming with the
next release.

I will try to sum up the status of the ongoing projects I know, and if we
could use them for the next release.

*WikiToLearn *(the website)
We are working on 3 different feature branches:

   - liquid2flow, I am in the process of migrating from LiquidThreads to
   Flow (for the talk pages), things didn't go as planned, we have a few
   problems with the migration. I contacted upstream and they gave me a few
   possible fixes, I have yet to try them, there is hop. If we need this fast
   or if we can't fix it for real we might need to lose all the discussions
   (or at least the User discussions, which are problematic)

   - remove_exts, Martina while at the sprint started the process of
   cleaning up and updating extensions and also updating/fixing the
   LocalSettings.php  as well as adding a few quick fixes for extensions
   related development (error reporting for example). We have to do some
   testing and then we can merge this without many problems, I think.

   - dev-wtl-home, the sysadmins created this branch to begin the process
   of migrating from the old wtl setup to the new WikiToLearnHome one. More in
   the dedicated secton.

All these 3 are blocking for the next release (IMO).

*WikiToLearnHome*
This is the new repo we (Luca, Dario, Davide and me) created to get the
best possible WikiToLearn environment up and running as quickly and
painlessly as possible, both in production and on development machines. We
set the basis for it (we can run a local instance, but not in the clean way
we would like) and are in the process of writing the last part of this new
project.  The idea is to have the WikiToLearn repo as free as possible from
scripts and at the same time improve the experience for the developers,
sysadmins, users.
The objective is to end this as soon as possible, and get at least the
local instance/development scripts ready in the next weeks (2?).

I think this is blocking for the next release, it has to be working; open
to discuss this. It won't change anything on the user/editor/reader side.

*texla*
Texla is the latex parser developed at the sprint (and in the weeks before
it) by Davide with the help of a few other people. The plan is to have a
web interface where a user can upload latex files and convert/upload them
to WikiToLearn, painlessly. We still have quite a lot work to do on this
and I think we can release without it.

*OCG/Collection*
Alessandro, Irene and me updated the system to the newer version of nodejs
(it was running one from 4 years ago). Work is still going on for the
conversion of tables. Need more details to know if everything is working or
what needs to be fixed or if we can release.  (We can release without the
tables)
We also worked on our fork of the collection extensions, improving the user
experience, this is already merged in master.

*Neverland*
Let's wait for Gianluca, I don't know enough in the detail about what was
done at the sprint. (New features?, fixes?)

*VisualEditor*
Gianluca managed to make VisualEditor run on WikiToLearn! It has some bugs
and problems we have to fix, but I think we can release without it (unless
something was fixed in the last few days)?

*PDFCheck*
Currently powered off, I have a simple bug to fix, we don't care for the
release.

*Infrastructure*
We are planning the move to the new servers. Luca wants this for the next
release.

*Content Referencing*
I don't know enough. I am sure we don't have this ready and won't need in
the release.

*Other Stuff*
Cross Wiki Notification (who is working on that?) Not in this release? How
much work is needed?
Skin for the Blog (Andrea Zanini is working on that, we got some feedback
from KDE's VDG). Non blocking.
BotsForEditors (I am planning to work on that, soon).

Waiting to get your opinion on everything,

Cristian