Content referencing

Davide Valsecchi valsecchi.davide94 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 23:47:59 UTC 2016

Really good ideas! I have some comments to do

> Hey all, last night I made an MediaWiki extension for doing content
> referencing. The idea is for this to be applied to figures, equations,
> anything that would want to be referenced back to later.
>
> Everything here is on the GitHub repo, under the branch ContentRefrencer,
> give it a try!
>
> Anything here is up for debate/change.
>
> *Motivation:*
>
> Reuse of content. This way one chapter that requires a certain proof or
> math equation, they can reference to there, where it is explained in more
> depth instead of explaining it again.
>
> *Syntax:*
>
> Currently there are two new tags, content and content-ref.
>
> Example:
>
> <content name="Quadratic Formula" id=1.0>
> <math> ... </math>
> </content>

I think that it would be better to use a label instead of a numerical id.
It would be remembered and referred easier.
Look at Latex ref/label, you are trying to recreate the same behavior.

> and then later
> <content-ref id=1.0>See Quadratic formula</content-ref>
>
> This will work for any <content> elements in that page. In order to
> reference to a different page, just add the page attribute to the
> <content-ref> element:
>
> <content-ref page="Physics/Quantum Mechanics" id=3>...</content-ref>

It works impressively! I see that for now it displays: "Figure: $name". Why
don't create a parameter for the type of reference? Like type=Figure or
type=math.

> *Features:*
>
> So as of right now, this is very simple, and could live in a template, but
> there are more options with an extension.

You know that we are using templates for theorems and definitions and so
on. Do you think that we could use your ref tag to create a link to them?
We can insert a label/id in the template, or maybe include automatically al
the content inside a <content> tag, but without your extension box. Maybe
the box could be optional?

> *Hover*
> One feature I really want to figure out is showing the contents of the
> <content> tag when hovering over the corresponding <content-ref> tag. This
> would allow anyone to be able to see the content without even navigation
> outside the page.
>
> *dmath*
> One cool feature would to have support similar to this in the dmath tag,
> to make it easier to pass on to OCG.

I think that for math we should pay a lot of attention. Maybe it would be
possible to insert a label inside dmath tag and then make reference to it
with your <content-ref> tag. Including math inside a <content> tag it's not
optimal because I don't know how we could make OCG recognize the link.

I hope my suggestions could give you hints. I think that a general way to
ref things is excellent, but we have to integrate it also in templates and
math.

What do you think?

Davide