[E2] Cross-wiki notifications

Roan Kattouw rkattouw at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 3 23:07:25 UTC 2016

On Feb 4, 2016 09:57, "Matthew Flaschen" <mflaschen at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I spoke to Riccardo at FOSDEM, and he indicated you might be interested
in setting up cross-wiki notifications.

> There is not much documentation right now (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125728).

Yeah, we should write some. Thanks for filing that.

> Also set $wgEchoUseCrossWikiBetaFeature to true if you want it to be a
Beta Feature (requires BetaFeatures extension) (probably a good idea to
make it a BetaFeature initially while we iron out any issues).

Counter-intuitively, not enabling that setting doesn't make the feature
available to everyone, it makes it completely unavailable. To enable it for
everyone, you need $wgDefaultUserOptions['echo-cross-wiki-notifications'] =
true; .

Also, after creating the database table, you should populate it by running
extensions/Echo/maintenance/backfillUnreadWikis.php on every wiki. If you
don't do that, the feature will work, but notifications that were received
before the feature was enabled won't be taken into account.

Roan