[WebKit-devel] KDE Webkit status update...

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 21:39:32 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 17:49:56 Dawit A. wrote:
> This is a quick status update of the work completed in KDE's webkit part.
> Since I am both too lazy and short on time to update
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/WebKit/TODO, here you go:

I think it would be helpful for anyone if you could update this TODO page;
otherwise it contains outdated information.

> #1 Full integration with KDE components such as KIO and KCookiejar ; so for
> example the cookies stored when using webkitpart will be available if you
> switch over to khtml.
>
> #2 History navigation should now work correctly.

Really nice!

> #3 Qt's built-in flash support should work with the following exceptions
>  and conditions:
>
>    ** If you change the default user-agent, then expect the browser to
>  crash when you leave a site that contains flash content. Dunno the cause
>  because the crash occurs inside the flash plugin.

Is't it hardcoded so it would not crash in any case? I think it does not make
any sense if the user can change the UA for the flashplayer.

>    ** You might experience random crashes if "qt4-gtk-engine" is installed
>  on your machine and you visit sites that have flash content. No idea why
>  this happens as the backtrace I get is useless.
>
> #4 Link navigation
>
>     ** "mailto:" url as well as directory based protocols such as ftp
>  should now work correctly.
>
>     ** Link redirection to text documents, actually any non-html document
>         that does not contain a <title> tag,  should now work as expected.
>
> #5 Konqueror plugin support:
>
>    ** Searchbar plugin has been fixed so that it is available when using
>        webkitpart.
>
>    ** Partial support for the adblock plugin. Currently we only use the
>  rules to block ads.

For example the KGet plugin should work as well; I have added support there
some time ago.

> What major tasks are left ?
> ===============
>
> #1 There is much work left to do before this engine becomes useful to many
> more people and I am sure things will improve greatly just by the mere
>  release of an updated webkit with Qt 4.6. Until then here are some of the
>  major features/functionailty that are still pending:
>
> #2 Form completions aka KWallet integration. This cannot be easily
>  implemented until Qt 4.6 [QWebElement]

One important thing which we were not able to implement in a nice way before
4.6...

> #3 Better integration with all Konqueror's plugin. This will involve
>  changing the plugins not to be khtml specific and/or adjusting the parts
>  api so that the functionality these plugins need can be implemented by any
>  rendering engine. Anyhow, this needs further discussion/debate.

I agree, this is important. I'm for a nice non-KHTML specific API for such
plugins.

> #4 The in-page searching (CTRL+F) needs TLC. I am almost done with this and
>  it will be commited soon.
>
> #5 Major work on the KIO side of things on how requests are scheduled. This
>  is probably KDE 4.4 or later stuff and should not have any visible effect
>  to the end user.
>
> #5 Implementing all missing khtml/konqueror features that can also be made
> available in kdewebkit/konqueror.

What features are you talking about? What would you like to put into that
place?

> #6 Bug fixes, bug fixes and more bug fixes...

Sure, this is a very important point!

One comment from my side: I would like to put kdewebkit (the binding between
kdelibs <-> QtWebKit into kdelibs/webkit ASAP. I think the current state of
this part is quite good. Most bugs have been fixed there. This way many
apps/libs could use KWeb* instead of QWeb so they could profit from the KDE-
integration. Any objections / ideas?

Btw, thanks a lot for your really nice work on this part of KDE! :)

Bye
urs