[WebKit-devel] KDE Webkit status update...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 17:49:56 CEST 2009

This is a quick status update of the work completed in KDE's webkit part.
Since I am both too lazy and short on time to update
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/WebKit/TODO, here you go:

#1 Full integration with KDE components such as KIO and KCookiejar ; so for
example the cookies stored when using webkitpart will be available if you
switch over to khtml.

#2 History navigation should now work correctly.

#3 Qt's built-in flash support should work with the following exceptions and
conditions:

   ** If you change the default user-agent, then expect the browser to crash
       when you leave a site that contains flash content. Dunno the cause
       because the crash occurs inside the flash plugin.

   ** You might experience random crashes if "qt4-gtk-engine" is installed on
       your machine and you visit sites that have flash content. No idea why
       this happens as the backtrace I get is useless.

#4 Link navigation

    ** "mailto:" url as well as directory based protocols such as ftp should
        now work correctly.

    ** Link redirection to text documents, actually any non-html document
        that does not contain a <title> tag,  should now work as expected.

#5 Konqueror plugin support:

   ** Searchbar plugin has been fixed so that it is available when using
       webkitpart.

   ** Partial support for the adblock plugin. Currently we only use the rules
       to block ads.

What major tasks are left ?
===============

#1 There is much work left to do before this engine becomes useful to many
more people and I am sure things will improve greatly just by the mere release
of an updated webkit with Qt 4.6. Until then here are some of the major
features/functionailty that are still pending:

#2 Form completions aka KWallet integration. This cannot be easily implemented
until Qt 4.6 [QWebElement]

#3 Better integration with all Konqueror's plugin. This will involve changing
the plugins not to be khtml specific and/or adjusting the parts api so that the
functionality these plugins need can be implemented by any rendering engine.
Anyhow, this needs further discussion/debate.

#4 The in-page searching (CTRL+F) needs TLC. I am almost done with this and it
will be commited soon.

#5 Major work on the KIO side of things on how requests are scheduled. This is
probably KDE 4.4 or later stuff and should not have any visible effect to the
end user.

#5 Implementing all missing khtml/konqueror features that can also be made
available in kdewebkit/konqueror.

#6 Bug fixes, bug fixes and more bug fixes...