[WebKit-devel] KDE WebKit status update [Remix]

Michael Howell mhowell123 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 17:30:19 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 13 October 2009 06:47:01 Dawit A. wrote:
> #1. Doing so will not prevent people from abusing the class even if it is
> public member of KIO::AccessManager . In other words, if they want to, they
> still can use it as a replacement of the standard method of accessing the
> cookiejar in KDE.
Same with KIO::AccessManager. In fact, I personally don't see a problem with
that, if you like the API better or if you're offering Qt-only builds.

> #2. The use of QNetworkCookieJar does not depend on QNetworkAccessManager.
>  It is actually the vise-versa. QNetworkAccessManager uses
>  QNetworkCookieJar. So why should a re-implementation of such class create
>  the reverse association ?
Maybe in Qt, but in KIO::AccessManager, that's actually not the case. All
KIO::AccessManager does is wrap the KIO calls, which handle cookies
implicitly. If you want to use KIO::AccessManager, you may not need to use the
CookieJar, but if you're using the CookieJar, it's because you're also using
AccessManager.

> #3. If developers use the KDE APIs in their application to begin with, then
> there should actually be no reason to concern themselves with the cookiejar
> integration issue since it is all automagically taken care of for them
>  through KIO. As such, they are not going to go looking for such a class ?
>
> Instead how about simply naming the class KIO::NetworkCookieJar as I
> previously suggested, but then adding the code to the existing
>  accessmanager.* files ? That way the intended use of the class should be
>  just as obvious. Of course that is in addition to the intent of the class
>  already being clearly documented...
I actually wouldn't mind that name, except that KIO::AccessManager doesn't
have the "Network" prefix. KIO::CookieJar would be nice, except that it doesn't
imply that it's a wrapper. OTOH, neither does KIO::AccessManager...