[WebKit-devel] KDE Webkit status update...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Fri Oct 9 01:09:23 CEST 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 17:26:47 you wrote:
> On Thursday 08 October 2009 20:38:51 Dawit A. wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 October 2009 10:51:53 Michael Howell wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > I disagree about completely dropping KWebPage/View. If we keep them, we
> > >  could add more elements of KDE integration and apps will get it for
> > > free. (e.g. wallet integration)
> > >
> > > Of course, by factoring out the CookieJar and friends, KWebPage/View
> > > are made to be very simple classes.
> >
> > Okay... I can see the benefit of having convenient wrapper
> >  re-implementations that provide complete KDE integration for free ; so I
> >  will simplify these classes and leave them in there. My only desire was
> > to make sure the essential KDE integration (KIO/CookieJar) can be done
> > without having to inherit from these classes...
>
> Go ahead; this way sound perfect to me.
>
> > What I also wanted to discuss but forgot was putting the classes in
> >  kdewebkit under a namespace instead of simply replacing the Q with K.
> > The namespace could be something like "KDEWebKit" or "KdeWebKit" so
> > classes can be referenced as KdeWebKit::CookieJar instead of
> > KNetworkCookieJar, KdeWebKit::WebPage instead of KWebPage for example...
> > I also want to rename the files accordingly so they are easily
> > distinguished. For example, kdewebpage.h, kdewebview.h
> > kdewebpluginfactory.h, kdewebcookiejar.h etc. Any input, objections ? If
> > no objections which/what namespace should I use ?
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure. I prefer the way without a new namespace, since this is
> more common for kdelibs (except KIO IIRC). I'm not sure if there is a
>  policy how to do that... But I'm quite sure there is a policy which says
>  not to use multiple uppercase chars for API, so you'd have to name it
>  KdeWebKit.

I do not think there is any policy about using namespaces. A simple grep of
kdelibs shows that it is full of namespaces. I also searched for KDE API
policy on that and I did not find anything. Regarding the use of multiple
uppercases, I doubt that applies to the word KDE, e.g. KDEPrivate, but then
again that might have been an exception... Anyhow, I will stick with the Q ->
K because that is less of a hassle ;)

The confusion I was attempting to solve cannot actually be solved by
namespaces anyways. For example, KNetworkCookieJar is a re-implementation of
QNetworkCookiejar which is part of Qt's Network module ; so where does this
class belong in kdelibs ? kio/kio ? kdecore/network ? in whatever module
kdewebkit goes ? Dunno but for now it will all be in kdewebkit...