[WebKit-devel] KDE Webkit status update...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Tue Oct 6 06:37:24 CEST 2009

On Monday 05 October 2009 22:51:49 Michael Howell wrote:
> On Monday 05 October 2009 09:15:58 Dawit A. wrote:
> > On Sunday 04 October 2009 11:05:48 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> > > I just have found another issue we need to think about:
> > > kdewebkit/settings/webkitsettings.h is not a public header, but used by
> > > the part. This is a no-go. Either we need to cleanup this header and
> > > install it, or remove the direct ussage of this class. I prefer #2.
> >
> > Almost all of the WebSettings class deals with configuration that is
> >  specific to Konqueror and hence should be moved to webkitpart as well.
> > The two uses of WebKitSettings I personally added for determining whether
> > or not the cookiejar is enabled can easily be replaced with public
> > get/set member functions in KWebPage and the one that computes font sizes
> > can trivially be relocated to webkitpart where it actually belongs...
>
> How are font defaults, JavaScript defaults, and such specific to Konqueror?
> KHTMLWidget gets those settings outside Konqueror. If your app needs them
> overridden (embedded WebKit using JavaScript), you can override them.

I actually meant khtmlpart not Konqueror. That is a mistake on my part. As
such these configurations should be either part of the webkitpart or offered as
a public API as demonstrated by the problem Urs mentioned above.

Let me throw back the same question at you. Why would a completely distinct
and spearate web rendering engine need to read the settings and configuration
of a completely different engine unless it wants to provide the same consistent
look and feel when used in existing applications (which 99% of the time is
Konqueror) ? Do all applications that use QtWebKit, but want to integrate with
KDE technology want to use these khtml specific settings ? I somehow doubt that
is the case... I just do not see why a browser like rekonq that uses QtWebKit,
but want to provide KDE integration, want do that.

If you look at it from that point of view you when creating an API you would
realize that what is needed for QtWebKit/KDE integration is re-implementation
of the bulding block Qt classes such that all applications/kparts, without
exception, benefit equally. How do we do that ? Why we follow the precedence
set by KIO::AccessMananger. For example, I am doing the same thing for the
cookiejar integration right now. I am going to offer a wrapper class for
inclusing in KIO or other appropriate location (e.g. wherever kdewebkit is
going to go). Once that is done, all a developer has to do is simply create an
instance of these classes and set them in the generic or own versions of the
QWebView/QWebPage versions and viola KDE integration. Everything else to me is
application/part or whatever specific and needs to be implement there.