[WebKit-devel] KWebWallet implementation committed...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 00:47:52 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 07:48:37 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009 08:25:37 Dawit A. wrote:
> > I have comitted an implementation of KWebWallet that is mostly complete.
> > It took longer than I had hoped for because of issues I encountered along
> > the way, but I am finally done for the most part and the code is ready
> > for review. Please note that the code has not been merged into
> >  kdelibs/kdewebkit until I completely finish this support and is ready
> > for end user testing. Anyhow, here is a basic run down of things as they
> > stand now:
> >
> > # 1. KWebWallet will only support async calls to both save and restore
> > form data. I have abondened sync calls because it causes more trouble
> > than I like to get into here, but feel free to ask me if interested. To
> > make a long story short I will not implement such support.
> >
> > #2. KWebWallet was designed such the backend storage (KWallet) can be
> >  replaced by inheriting and implemeting 3 member functions as it stands
> >  now. I will add more documentation about this at some point before the
> > API is sucked into kdelibs and prepared for 4.4 release. Anyhow, this
> > requirement might make the code seem a little bit convolute ; if so
> > please suggest ways you want to see it improved.
> >
> > #3. Parsing form data was implemented by looking at how it is done in
> > Arora and works with Qt 4.5. IOW, it does not require the new QWebElement
> > classes available in Qt 4.6 ; so once I finish the frontend, hopefully
> > before the end of the week, it can be tested with the current KDE 4.3.x
> > release. Note that the code that parses forms is in its own function so
> > it can easily be transitioned to use the Qt 4.6 provided classes in the
> > future.
> >
> > #4. As with all other KDE integration code, KWebWallet is enabled by
> >  default in KWebPage. This can be disabled by calling
> >  KWebPage::setWallet(0). In which case wallet integration is completely
> >  disabled...
> >
> > #5. Until the GUI front end in the kwebkitpart can be provided, the code
> > in KWebPage that calls saveFormData(...) is disabled for now.
> >
> > Please look over the API and provide feedback with choice on
> >  public/protected member function names. Specifically I have changed
> >  resotreFormData to fillFormData since I last posted the API for review.
>
> I have done a short review and things look good to me.
>
> One thing I'm not really sure about is the ussage of Qt resources stuff
> (qt4_add_resources). I thought KDE would use KStandardDirs for such stuff,
>  but I think it won't hurt in this case. So if there are no further
>  objections, let it as it is.

I know KDE uses KStandardDirs... However, that is no appropriate in this case
because we want to guarantee those files are always available and most
importantly do not change. Any change to the script files would affect the code
that uses them and we cannot allow that, hence the need for them to be
resource files.

Anyhow, post KDE 4.4 (read: 4.4.1) we will get rid of those script files and
use the API provided with Qt 4.6 ; so this is only a temporary solution...