[WebKit-devel] Better library/header name for the webkit kpart...

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Sun Nov 15 18:34:02 CET 2009

On Sunday 15 November 2009 09:44:29 Urs Wolfer wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 05:24:10 Dawit A. wrote:
> > The current naming scheme for the webkit kpart is utterly confusing. The
> > library is named "webkitkde". The KDE wrapper that was recently moved to
> > kdelibs produces a library called "kdewebkit"! As such I am proposing the
> > following changes:
> >
> > #1. Rename webkitkde to kwebkit.
> > #2. Rename webkitpart to kwebkitpart.
> > #3. Rename all classes, files named webkitpart.* to kwebkitpart.*
> > #4. Install kwebkitpart.h under ${INCLUDE_INSTALL_DIR} not
> > ${INCLUDE_INSTALL_DIR}/webkitkde
>
> Nope, this point do not look sane to me. Since it's not something of
>  kdelibs, I don't think we should put it into the global include dir. IMHO
> ${INCLUDE_INSTALL_DIR}/kwebkitpart would be okay.

Well if we follow your logic, then should not kdewebkit install its headers in
the global directory since it is now in kdelibs ? My only issue here again is
that we have two separate include folders for something that is essentially
the same thing. Either we put everything in one folder or follow what other
modules such as khtml do, no ? In other words, if we put the part in
kwebkitpart, then whomever uses it in the future will have to include it as

#include <KDE/KWebKitPart/KWebKitPart> or
#include <kwebkitpart/kwebkitpart.h>

Personally I would like to see both kdewebkit and the webkitpart install their
header files to the same location so that all header files associated with them
are in the same location ; so the above becomes:

#include <KDE/KWebKit/KWebKitPart>
#include <kwebkit/kwebkitpart.h>

Additionally creating a spearate folder for a single include file seems an
overkill to me...