[WebKit-devel] Flash workaround

Jakub Stachowski qbast at go2.pl
Sat Mar 14 22:10:31 CET 2009

Dnia Saturday 14 March 2009, Michael Howell napisał:
> On Saturday 14 March 2009 11:34:08 Jakub Stachowski wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Currently plugin factory contains workaround for flash (returning
> > QWebView instead of 0). What bug does it exactly works around?
> > If it is video player embedded from youtube showing just controls but no
> > video (testcase: http://www.webscription.net/s-108-david-weber.aspx )
> > then attached patch contains alternative solution.
> > The problem is that QNetworkManager (and maybe flash plugin) expects to
> > handle redirects itself, but KIO internally fetches destination URL
> > instead. The patch makes KNetworkReply emit finish()  and kill the KIO
> > job upon redirect.
>
> QtWebKit tries to use KWebPluginFactory for _all_ plug-in requests, even if
> the actual plug-in was not advertised by KWebPluginFactory, but is supposed
> to be used internally by QtWebKit's built-in Flash support.
>
> I wish I knew how to pass the options to the new QWebView, which would fix
> YouTube.

OK, but why not simply return 0? In this case QtWebKit tries built-in support
for netscape plugins. It makes webkitkde more crashy, but then again even with
QWebView workaround it crashes whenever it likes.
I know that QWebView is workaround but what is actual bug being worked around?
Crashing? Not showing movie on youtube? Something else?

Even nspluginviewer crashes with webkitkde :-(