[Uml-user] Umbrello loses diagrams

Alistair Atkinson alatkins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 04:39:33 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I've just encountered this problem myself, losing about half a dozen
sequence diagrams in the process.

I'm running 1.5.6.

The problem occurred when I was editing one of the sequence diagrams.
I moved a Note fairly close to, but not covering a synchronous
operation on the said diagram. This cause the lines and box denoting
the operation to disappear.

This had happened to me several times before, so I immediately pressed
Undo. Each time previously this had worked successfully, and I could
continue from where I left off editing. However this time it caused my
diagram to go blank. Further attempts at Undo had no effect.
Furthermore, when I exited Umbrello and opting to not save the changes
since last save, then reloading the model, my diagrams were still
blank.

Strangely, one of the sequence diagrams was still accessible, but all
of the others cannot be renamed, and I cannot access their Properties
box. It is as though they do not actually exist (or Umbrello doesn't
recognise them). I can created and edit new sequence diagrams,
however.

My class diagrams remain unaffected.

Obviously at some point the .xmi file has been corrupted. Any
suggestions on how to recover my work would be appreciated, however I
am resigned to having to re-do it all.

Cheers,
Alistair