[Uml-user] Wish list (including some bug fixing)

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Feb 14 09:29:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 09:53:21AM +0000, symbulos partners wrote:

> Umbrello is a beautiful product. Nevertheless, even the best need some
> improvements, including some bug fixing. :-)

Thanks for your complements :)

> FORMATTING
> 1)"Align to grid" command, which distributes evenly all the "objects" you have
> on the page.

Is that really useful?  May well be but it would be difficult to work
out the order objects should go in the grid such that it minimises
crossing associations.

> 2)A show all attributes / show all operations - hide all attributes / hide all
> operations button / command for showing /hiding all attributes /operations in
> the whole diagram

You can already do this through Diagram->Properties->Display, seems to
work when I just tried it.

> 3)Improved (lot improved) label position on association. Now there are several
> problems, for instance
> 	3.1) multiplicity disappearing under other classes
> 	3.2) multiplicity / name being displaced in far away places

These require fiddly calculations, someone with a close eye to detail
would need to go over the code.

> CODE GENERATION
> 4)Generate  PHP 4 + generate PHP 5, different!

We have this in Umbrello 1.4.

> 5)A working generate SQL, with the possibility of selecting pure SQL (last
> version!), MySQL, PostgresSQL.

The SQL generator seems to work for some people who like making relational
diagrams out of class diagrams, I've never worked it out.

Umbrello 1.4 has proper entity-relationship diagrams but they're quite
simple and there's no SQL generator for it.  There is a noted wishlist
item at bugs.kde.org I'm sure.

> 6)The possibility to transform a class into a package (viceversa).

Why?  Packages are namespaces, classes have methods and attributes,
they're quite different.

> 7)The possibility of setting the default type data type to something different
> from int (for instance string, boolean)

Fair enough, please report to bugs.kde.org lest we forget.

> 8)Separate view menu, as in all other development tools in KDE (Quanta,
> Kdevelop, Kommander)

What would go in it?  Kommander doesn't have one, I don't have Quanta
or KDevelop installed.

> 9)Separate format menu (layout menu), similar to the layout menu in Kommander
> (maybe it is possible to use some of their code).

Yes, that could have the tools current in the alignment toolbar in
it, that toolbar takes up too much space for my liking.  Please report
to bugs.kde.org lest we forget.

Thanks for your feedback, Umbrello is going to be very short of
developers after the 1.4 release so any help appreciated.

Jonathan Riddell