[Uml-user] RfC: umbrello-plugin for KDevelop?

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Thu Feb 3 13:20:19 UTC 2005

Sven Bauhan <lists at sven.bauhan.name> [050203 21:57]:
> I talked to a collegue about software development with UML. We came to the
> conclusion that the main problem about uml-tools is that do not work together
> with the IDE.
> Some time ago I had the idea to edit the source code directly in umbrello,
> which is restraintly possible in umbrello yet.
> So why writing a new source code editor when we can use the one from
> KDevelop!?
>
> So umbrello could work as a plugin to KDevelop to combine design and
> implementation. So changes that are done to the design (in a class diagram)
> changes the code accordingly at once and vice versa. So design and
> implementation does not diverge.
>
> The design stored in XMI files will be part of the package and is version
> controlled with it. So the according UML design to a specific software
> version is directly accessible.
>
> What do you think?

You could of course also argue the other way around that kdevelop should be
a plugin for Umbrello. This would even make more sense then in professional
project work programming does not take more then 10% of the time, most time
is needed for analysis, design, testing, documentation. Besides testing
those activities can be better supported with an UML tool.

However, this discussion will not help, unless nobody stands up and
implements it. The first one going to implement it in any way makes the
decision, I think this is how OpenSource works :-)

I don't know who is going to do the work, me not. At the moment we have the
source code as interface between both tools. It might be not the best
integration possible, however it is a integration at least.

Sebastian
--
Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation