[Uml-user] RE: Compiling Umbrello to a Windows binary

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 13:55:03 UTC 2005

On 11/24/05, Philippe Le Gal <plegal at appert44.org> wrote:

> I'm sure that you can find a live version of linux (suse (german linux) ,
> ubuntu, ...) that you can run on your computer without installing linux.
> Then you can use umbrello.
>
> I'm not sure that compiling all good softwares on Windows is a good
> solution.
> Nowaday it's not difficult to use Linux even for newbies.

I semi-agree with this.  Linux has become so easy to use for newbies, even
people not very familiar with Computers.  My parents are a good example, as
they have recently embraced Linux and are not what I would say are advanced
computer users in any sense.  My girlfriend also has started to use Linux
and did her own Linux Install.

I also agree, that porting software Linux Software to Windows will not help
people that are more resistive to trying new things move into Linux, they
will simply continue to use the software that they are familiar with
regardless of what alternatives are out there in most cases.  I believe that
the only way to get more people to use Linux is for them to try Linux.

That said, porting the software to Windows can benefit people like me.  I
tend to use whichever tool (OS) fits the job, right now that is Windows, in
the future it could be Linux, OS X, BSD and so on.  The benefit to Umbrello
or other Linux software is that it gets used more often (I would use it in
Windows too, instead of just Linux).

The large downside is someone has to maintain the Windows port, keeping it
up to date, testing and fixing bugs.  If no-one has the time to create the
initial port, no one will have the time to keep it up to date with the
current head/trunk.

--
Bradley Remedios