[Uml-user] Sequence diagram disappeared

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri May 28 05:31:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:42:20AM -0700, James Hughes wrote:
> This is definitely a bug of some sort, but I'm not sure how to report
> it, as it happened 'behind my back', shall we say. I'm going to describe
> it here a) to see if anyone has had a similar experience and b) to let
> you know to be on the lookout for this. Losing a couple hours work is no
> fun...
>
> I spent some time yesterday creating a sequence diagram. It is now
> nothing more than an item in the list view. The diagram is gone, where I
> can't say. I save often, and I know this was saved before I left,
> because I was adding methods to a class diagram while creating the
> sequence diagram, and those are all still there. This morning I came in,
> got the latest cvs, rebuilt umbrello, and restarted; that's when I
> noticed the missing diagram. I tried backing out the changes to
> class.cpp and operation.cpp that were committed yesterday, thinking they
> might be culprits, but they're not.
>
> I've poked around in the xmi file and there is a <listitem> element with
> a label attribute for the diagram, but no corresponding <diagram>
> element. So, am I screwed? (I'm guessing yes.) Any tips on how to avoid
> this in the future?

We've had a few reports of loosing data in Umbrello (not loads I'm
glad to say, 3 or 4).  It is of course very worrying and worse still
there's not much can be done about it since there's no way to recreate
the problem.

The best I can say is to take backups as nesessary which is far from
satisfactory.  Hopefully the problem can be tracked down before too
long.

Jonathan Riddell