[Uml-user] Problems changing methods signatures

Andre Costa costa at tecgraf.puc-rio.br
Mon Jul 19 06:56:06 UTC 2004

Hi Sebastian,

I have a simple case where the problems I mentioned show up. I will try
to describe the steps to reproduce them:

SCENARIO 1
1. create a new diagram
2. create a new class AAA
3. right click on the class name on the "UML Diagrams" panel on the left
4. create a new operation op1() : void
5. edit its properties and try to change its return type to bool. This
yields the following error message:

"An operation with that signature already exists in AAA. Choose a
different name or parameter list."

5.1 only way out is pressing Cancel, and method signature remains
unchanged

SCENARIO 2
(repeat steps 1-4 above)
1. try to add a parameter

The same error msg appears. However, this time clicking on Cancel _does
change the method signature, creating the new parameter_.

I can provide you screenshots for each step above if you believe it will
help you.

HTH,

Andre

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:48:18 +0200
Sebastian Stein <seb_stein at gmx.de> wrote:

> Andre Costa <costa at tecgraf.puc-rio.br> [040716 15:44]:
> > newbie question: whenever I want to change a method's signature
> > (say, by marking it as abstract), Umbrello complaints "another
> > operation exists with the same signature, either rename the
> > operation or change the parameter list". It is of course referring
> > to the current method signature, which is precisely what I am trying
> > to change =)
> >
> > Is there any way of effectively _changing_ a method signature aside
> > from having to create a new bogus method, remove the current one and
> > then change the new method signature back to the previous one?
> >
> > It is actually more weird than this: if I add a parameter to a
> > method signature, umbrello complaints as above _but it apply the
> > changes if I cancel the operation_ (!)
> >
> > Is this a known issue? Am I missing something?
>
> I can't confirm this problem in the current development version. Are
> you using Umbrello's version shipped with KDE 3.2?
>
> Sebastian
> --
> Umbrello UML Modeller
> Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code
> generation Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
> Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
> CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde

Andre Oliveira da Costa
(costa at tecgraf.puc-rio.br)